Circular Chess,"Byzantine chess"


Circular Chess board for Byzantine Chess

Final Test Print

Though this game is called Byzantine Chess it has not been linked directly to The Byzantine Empire at all. Here is a nice short and easy to follow, write up on it as well as how to play from "learn-to-play-chess.com Copyright 2008-19"   http://www.learn-and-play-online-chess.com/circular-chess.html 

The process
The work has begun on a block to use to stamp a circular chess board. After much building it in my head and taking it apart again, I have come up with the idea of making one 1/4 stamp that is placed 4 times to create the board. I don't know how popular this board will or wont be so I might have to re think it if it turns out I need to make large quantities of them, in which case I will make one large board stamp by making 4 stamps and attaching them together permanently. 


Block with spaces drawn on. 
You can also see the Degrees written on for the radiations for the squares. I used one inch marks for the width of each space. It is important to be the same on both sides because I will be lining up this black 3 times, after the first print. 

Center design drawn on block. 
I tend to use nautical themes so this is a compass rose.


Getting ready to do a test print
It is my practice to test print to see if I am happy with the lines after my first carving



Test print
Here are the things I am using to do my test printing. Since it is a test I am using a water soluble ink, i have a brayer, to roll the ink on, a tray, to put my ink on, fabric, under the fabric are 4 folded layers of felt, and a board that i use for all of my printing 



First printing
As you can see the area between the squares at the edges of the block make it look like those game spaces are just one large space and so I must carve away more there. I also feel the lines would look better if they were bolder so I will carve them out to be wider. I would like the out side non game area to have radiations as a decoration. 


Final block
Here is the block after I have carved the things I wanted into it. I believe it is going to be a good print but you can never fully tell till you print it. What I am hoping is that it will be my final test print. 


First placement


second placement
The lines between the block placements are good and clear and look just like the lines between the carved spaces in the center of the block.


third placement
I was a little off but this is a test not a planned sell-able board.


Block with thread on it
oh no on the fourth placement I didnt see a thread on the fabric and it interfered with the print below but I can fix it. 


fourth placement
Board with missing ink because of thread left behind. However I know how to fix it.


Final touch up on board
Board touched up using ink and a dry brushing technique 
I was a little off on the final placement, I will get better. All in all it is a playable board even though it is a test print. 
Cant wait to sew up some fabric and print some more with oil based ink to sell.
These will be at Maidens
I am thinking of making a lamp worked chess set with the original elephants and kings adviser to go with one  and entering it in Queens Prize Tourney however it will depend on time. Stay tuned and see if I can get them made in time. 

Marilyn Holt Copyright Jan 2020




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ludus duodecim scriptorum & duodecim scripta,

Daldos

Daldos